Brake Fluid Low

For your Ford Focus related discussion
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon
Car: 04 CD Silver SVTF 3-door

Yesterday the Brake light on my dash started blinking. When I got home, I checked the brake fluid and had to add several ounces.
The car has 64,000 miles, and the brakes are original. Last time I checked (last Fall) the brake pads & rotors look excellent. Brakes work perfect.
Any thoughts?
"Old Guy's" SVT:
2004 CD Silver 3-door w/blue interior (one of 244 in that color scheme in 2004)
Build #879 of 1,978
Mods: JRSC+BBK; C-F-M Rear Engine Mount; FSWERKS Stealth Exhaust
FocusMech.73155
Car: '07 Focus ST (supertight)

re-check the front pads. the inner pad wears may quicker than the outer pad. if they are fine, i've replace a couple leaking master cylinders. they leak into the brake booster so you don't see a leak. rear shoes usually last longer than the mileage you are at.
Pappy
have you seen my boxers?
Car: 09 Mustang GT, 14 Focus

The level lowers the more the cylinders expand for your brakes.

My personal guess is your brakes are shot. Most likely low inner pads (which seem to get the most wear).

Pull them apart, I bet your pads are shot. Which means if you add new pads when you compress your calipers all that brake fluid will over flow now, but it shouldn't be a huge problem (just put a towel aroundyour brake resevoir when you do your brakes and leave the lid off, so if it overflows, it has somewhere to go).
Prestige WorldWide The First Word In Entertainment

______________Boats and Ho's!_____________
Monkey Gein
Car: 07 Silver ZX3/07 Black ZX

^^^^ yup...
Image . . . Image <-- CLICK IT!!
focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

FocusMech.73155 wrote:re-check the front pads. the inner pad wears may quicker than the outer pad. if they are fine, i've replace a couple leaking master cylinders. they leak into the brake booster so you don't see a leak. rear shoes usually last longer than the mileage you are at.
shoot son, if it leaks into the booster then shouldnt you replace the booster, or does ford say that brake fluid is good for booster seals now? :lol: chances are if the fluid has seaped into the booster the pedal would be rock hard. check the inner pad as the focus front brakes have no dust sheild and the salt and road sanirt(salt,snow and dirt) get in there and the inner face of the rotors turn to a rust pitted nightmare, so you may be looking at rotors as well. the rears should last till about 100k, then do the rears and toss the drums as they are unmachinable by design. 8)
Image wink wink.....bitches
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon

focinite wrote:shoot son, if it leaks into the booster then shouldnt you replace the booster, or does ford say that brake fluid is good for booster seals now? :lol: chances are if the fluid has seaped into the booster the pedal would be rock hard. check the inner pad as the focus front brakes have no dust sheild and the salt and road sanirt(salt,snow and dirt) get in there and the inner face of the rotors turn to a rust pitted nightmare, so you may be looking at rotors as well. the rears should last till about 100k, then do the rears and toss the drums as they are unmachinable by design. 8)
Who you callin' "son"? Why, I'm probably old enough to be your father!
Anyway, the pedal feels good. It definitely isn't hard. I'll try to jack this rascal up this weekend and check things out.
Thanks to everyone for the advice.
"Old Guy's" SVT:
Build #879 of 1,978
Steve@Tasca
Midget

Jim, I'd bet your clutch master cylinder is leaking. See if theres a spot on the floor under the pedal or look up under there and see if you can see the leak.

That is by FAR the most common cause of low brake fluid in these cars since the brakes and clutch share a reservoir.

It is possible that worn pads would cause this but they'd have to be virtually GONE to kick the light on.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
Steve@Tasca
Midget

oldoutboardjim wrote:
focinite wrote:shoot son, if it leaks into the booster then shouldnt you replace the booster, or does ford say that brake fluid is good for booster seals now? :lol: chances are if the fluid has seaped into the booster the pedal would be rock hard. check the inner pad as the focus front brakes have no dust sheild and the salt and road sanirt(salt,snow and dirt) get in there and the inner face of the rotors turn to a rust pitted nightmare, so you may be looking at rotors as well. the rears should last till about 100k, then do the rears and toss the drums as they are unmachinable by design. 8)
Who you callin' "son"? Why, I'm probably old enough to be your father!
Anyway, the pedal feels good. It definitely isn't hard. I'll try to jack this rascal up this weekend and check things out.
Thanks to everyone for the advice.
Hey Jim, he was calling Focusmech "son" and Focinite is older than Focusmech :)

focinite

see he didnt say it was a stick. id go with what steven is saying first. if the level is good then take the cap off and flick the sensor with yer finger, some times the sensor gets sticky, id also rec flushing the whole system brake and clutch and replacing the fluid with a dot 4, youll get a better pedal on both the clutch and brake. 8) oh and jim im 30, so can i call you daddy? :lol:
Steve@Tasca
Midget

focinite wrote:see he didnt say it was a stick. id go with what steven is saying first. if the level is good then take the cap off and flick the sensor with yer finger, some times the sensor gets sticky, id also rec flushing the whole system brake and clutch and replacing the fluid with a dot 4, youll get a better pedal on both the clutch and brake. 8) oh and jim im 30, so can i call you daddy? :lol:
It's an SVT Rob :?

Holy crap, you're only 30? You don't look a day over 42 :lol:

focinite

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:
focinite wrote:see he didnt say it was a stick. id go with what steven is saying first. if the level is good then take the cap off and flick the sensor with yer finger, some times the sensor gets sticky, id also rec flushing the whole system brake and clutch and replacing the fluid with a dot 4, youll get a better pedal on both the clutch and brake. 8) oh and jim im 30, so can i call you daddy? :lol:
It's an SVT Rob :?

Holy crap, you're only 30? You don't look a day over 42 :lol:
ohhhh jeez here we go again!!!!!! he didnt have ,"its my svt", in the vairid cornacopia of colors like normal, so i must of misvt it. and if i look 42 then what does that make you......retired, or very tired :lol: :lol: i kid ....sir :lol: :lol: , no really ....i forgot...sigh
Steve@Tasca
Midget

focinite wrote:ohhhh jeez here we go again!!!!!! he didnt have ,"its my svt", in the vairid cornacopia of colors like normal, so i must of misvt it. and if i look 42 then what does that make you......retired, or very tired :lol: :lol: i kid ....sir :lol: :lol: , no really ....i forgot...sigh
He didn't say it but it's in his sig :?

You know what the best thing about your posts is?

It's the truly great vocabulary you use (vairid cornacopia) (varied cornucopia) and the complete lack of any attempt to spell anything correctly :lol:

BTW-I know you can spell, I've seen you do it :D

focinite

oh im crying. i love you too :lol:
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon

focinite wrote:he didnt have ,"its my svt", in the vairid cornacopia of colors like normal, so i must of misvt it.
Whassa matta you? You no like the fancy colors?
And no, you may not call me dad.
"Old Guy's" SVT:
Build #879 of 1,978
Steve@Tasca
Midget

oldoutboardjim wrote: And no, you may not call me dad.[/b]
What about "Pops" :lol: